Food Glorious Food

Food Glorious Food
Please sir, can we have some more?!

Tuesday 30 November 2010

I wanna be a sledgehammer

As human beings, we find inspiration in the most unusual of places, and today i take comfort in the words of Peter Gabriel. Please stick with me on this one...

As i lay in my bed feeling very much under the weather and wondering how i managed to put on more weight whilst following the weight watchers plan, the lyrics to 'I wanna be your sledgehammer' turn vivaciously around my skull..

'You could have a steam train if you'd just lay down your tracks...'


My Eureka moment had finally arrived aged 26 and a half years old on a snowy Tuesday afternoon in late November.

Yes, i just discovered that the reason for this rollercoaster effect that has often featured in many aspects of my life, not just my up and down weight, was that maybe my framework was a little off and maybe, just maybe i haven't quite 'lay down my tracks', i haven't even given myself a chance really, I just seem to expect results straight away.

Well with a clearer mind and a worn out ipod, i set about looking at my meal planner to start. I try and do a meal plan every week that will cater for Rob and I with our differing tastes and wants, and i decided that this week's will be different.

It's difficult to live a dual existence. One half of my personality ( I call this my heart), is very much an accomplished foodie, a soul that is never happier than when sampling some home cooked goodness, cooking for a crowd, or dining out in the newest restaurant to celebrate or to hunt for that certain je ne sais quoi...

However this calling, this certain disposition most common in Taureans similar to mysef, does not come without it's antagonisms.

The other half of my personality, the Jekyll to my Hyde, and often referred to as my Brain, often tells me that food isn't the be all and end all of life, that there are other activities to find enjoyment in such s para-gliding, wind surfing, skydiving, mountain climbing, sailing and walking. I've often believed that were i to give this side of my personality a running chance, no pun intended, i could be a dedicated outdoors type, grazing on organic produce, taking in fresh mountain air and holiday bliss would consist of the Swiss Alps and French Ski slopes with spur of the moment purchases more likely to be salopettes than a double chocolate chip cookie.

If i lay down the tracks less haphazardly and if i include a switch so the train can change direction every so often, i think i'll find a more balanced life before me. Taking everything in moderation rather than burning myself out before crossing the finish line is key. I just never expected Mr. Gabriel to be the catalyst in this experiment.

First stop - the meal planner, 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment